60 - 120 minutes
What is the treatment?
Sedation is designed to relax patients who are very nervous during dental treatment or who are having more complex treatment.
At South Down Clinic, intravenous sedation is expertly administered by one of our highly skilled specialists when required for any of the treatments listed above (oral surgery, endodontics, periodontics, dental implants, bone grafting, restorative treatment, aesthetic dentistry, and full mouth rehabilitation).
You will not be “put to sleep” as in a general anaesthetic you should however feel calm and relaxed during the treatment and not feel anxious about the surrounding environment.
You will be able to speak during the treatment, but you may not remember everything you have said. Local anaesthetic injection is used to freeze the gum as normal.
Your medical history and any medication you are taking must be checked by the dentist before the administration of sedation.
We operate on a dentist referral basis only.
Please speak to your dentist about getting referred to this clinic.
How long does it take?
An initial consultation appointment lasting approximately 20 – 30 minutes will be required. The procedure time can vary between 60 – 120 minutes, but this will vary on each individual patient’s needs.view prices
How much does it cost?
Intravenous sedation can accompany a range of treatments at South Down Clinic and your dentist will discuss this with you when being referred to us.
You will also be provided with a personalised treatment plan following a consultant appointment at the clinic and specific pre and post treatment care instructions. Please refer to our full price list for guidance on the cost of treatments that may be accompanied by Intravenous sedation
On the day of your treatment
- Have something light to eat 2 hours before your appointment e.g. tea and toast.
- You must be accompanied to and from the surgery by a responsible adult who will care for you for the rest of the evening for up to 8 hours after the procedure. The sedation can make you forgetful, and from a safety point of view, will not be given if the above arrangements are not adhered to.
- Please do not wear nail polish
- Do not drink any alcohol
- Wear comfortable clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up
During the 12 hours following your treatment
- You will be required to stay in clinic for a period of time after your treatment.
- Travel home with your escort, by car if possible and remain accompanied for at least 8 hrs.
- Stay resting quietly at home, and not in care of children.
- Do NOT use complex machinery or domestic appliances.
- Do NOT drive a motor vehicle or ride a bicycle.
- Do NOT sign any legal or business documents, or make any important decisions.
- Do NOT drink any alcohol.
- Do NOT take sleeping tablets.
- Observe any special precautions advised, i.e. painkillers.